Submitted: 09-05-2006 by cooldoctor1

I recommend Practical Kayaking for the new kayaker. It is a good overview, of the sport, and a nice supplement to any magazine or book reading (author Shelley Johnson and her husband Al are in this video). I find video to be the ideal format to learn many kayaking skills, topped only by on-the-water instruction, which is not always convenient or affordable. This simple DVD goes into details about kayaking, clothing and outfitting for your adventures. I bought the video with an eye on the kayak navigation section, but must confess, it was very basic and of little instruction for me, an intermediate paddler. For a newbie, this tape is ideal. For those that have logged a couple seasons of seat time, a foray into the University of Sea Kayaking or Nigel Fosterís series would likely better supplement your learning.