Submitted: 09-05-2006 by WCH

I have about 5 years experience with SOT's, weigh in at 180lbs., and bought a Pursuit this week. I found this kayak fairly tippy (a problem I never had with Ocean Kayak models). Although I can maintain balance, and am skilled at making it track. This is a kayak for the experienced paddler. It does require you to pay attention. I have had it out in one foot chop, and you do have to stay focused. At my weight, I would not recommend long distance paddling with any sort of gear. The Pursuit is a very fast SOT, and is a great deal of fun in fairly flat water, but be sure you know how to get back in after a roll over or you'll be in deep trouble in rough water with a stiff wind. Also, a paddle leash and a stirrup for those that have difficulty getting back aboard. The bottom line: Be skilled, Be cautious about weather, and Be under 185.