Submitted: 09-05-2006 by David

What I do not like: The kayak had light shipping related damage in a small nick in the bow and a few hull scratches. Wilderness Systems needs to do more that wrap its kayaks in a plastic bag for shipping as I hear this kind of damage is common.

The polycarbonate body though strong could be easily damaged if allowed to get two hot. I am particularly careful in synching it to the top of my truck as you could easily dent the hull though it would probably pop out.

What I like: almost everything. It is much lighter than the previous reviewer seems to think. I have no problem loading it onto the top of my xterra. I am 5'7 and 151 lbs so the cockpit is just right for my frame and I can move about in the very comfortable seat and reach items in the floor of the kayak. I got the kayak with the rudder and it tracks beautifully through the water and will turn on a dime if you use the right technique. Very stable and handles three foot swells without difficulty and without feeling as if you will be tossed out. Very fast--I am a beginner and I was able to get an average of 5 mph with two runs going both with and against the current and averaging the two. This was achieved with minimal paddling effort. Long range paddle speed would easily be 3mph. Despite what one reviewer said the rudder can be lowered and raised with ease from the cockpit.