Submitted: 09-05-2006 by surfrhino

Grew up longboarding on LI since 15 in 1963. Kept going back to the surf every summer for years lifeguarding at Jones Beach and RM. However, college football artritis and MS laid me low during the early 90s, so I retired. Recovered miraculously, but then had to have a hip replaced and still cannot "pop up" anymore. Sponging was ok for awhile, but it always left me wanting something bigger and faster. Aha, surf kayak or wave ski. I had seen a few. But how to float a 260 lb. albeit aquatic, but now semi-ambulatory, ex-middlelinebacker? Well, I had met Danny Broadhurst several times before through the years and he started telling me about a boat/craft that he wanted to design that would actually handle my upper body strength and float my XXL size and put me back out on the outside of the line up for the take off spots on waves - even the "mush waves" that we get so much of on here on LI. That boat is the new "Re-Vision" just released by Cobra. It definitely floats me high and fast (but not dry) and it usually paddles out with good speed and surprising stability. It acquires a lot of waves way before they even begin to break, so you have to check yourself from hogging more than your fair share - especially when other riders(boat or board)are around. Once on the wave,turning is simply a dream. The lightest brace or slightest hip roll with my weight in the boat triggers an instant response. After that,the down the line tracking speed is so considerable,your biggest problem is to remember to start your cut back to the pile early before you outrun our usual peaky shoulders. On bigger wally barrels or quality pitching tube days, when no one seems to be making all the sections or coming out of the other side clean before bailing or getting closed out, a couple of gorilla strokes into the face of that threatening barrel often propels you in the Re-Vision to such uncanny and ridiculous warp speeds across the face of the wave that shorebound onlookers are left speechlessly amazed and top knotch board surfers start to scoff and guffaw about all of the hydrodynamic advantages of a gargantuan surfboat propelled by paddle power versus the more challenging(and manly?)demands of stand-up bare-handed boardsurfing. In fact, on some of those better days,my own shortboarding sons have been among the good-natured chiders in the hard-core line-up. I have even sarcastically apologized, on occasion, for going so ridiculously fast so apparently easily while they would rage on about "geezer surfing", "sofa surfing", "lazee boy surfing", "geriatric surfing" and so on. I've even chimed in by adding that I was thinking of adding a beer cooler with bow mounted tv and a remote for my paddle for those slower knee high days that might be coming during football Sundays in September! Seriously though, about the only complaints I have on the Re-Vision are these. I wish Danny had contoured the buttock wells better. After an hour or two of invigorating surfing, the very flat seat surface gets a little uncomfortable on an old man's bum. And there are those days when the riding is just so dam good and easy, you just can't seem to stop yourself until you're in serious geezer agony. Ah yes, the agony of exercise for the aging and arthritic. More important, perhaps, is the rejuvenating prospect of a little fun from a definite adrenalin ride. Hell, sometimes I think that's all that's keeping me going from day to day. My other complaint is with the Cobra Kayak Company. Apparently they have renegged on their deal with Danny Broadhurst on suitable payment for the brilliance of his design. I hope they will respect this waveski/surfkayaking pioneer's contribution to their industry. I know I do. Finally,if you don't weigh more than 200 lbs. then this boat might not be your best ride. Danny's original design, the "Strike" would probably be your best bet. But if you're in the large, big and tall category, like I am, nearing or past geezerhood, like I am, and maybe you're having a litle trouble getting up off the floor lately, like I am, well then this could be the surf play boat for you. As for me, I hope to sit it til I die, no matter what the youngsters say!("Get up off your ass, Old Man!" "Stand up like a man, Old Man!" etc., etc.) I love it!