Submitted: 09-05-2006 by greg penn

I bought this kayak used about a year ago. I have logged approximately 150 miles in the boat and have been very pleased so far. The boat is officially the 16'8", but Dagger's specs say it is 16'11", presumably because the rudder hinge sticks out slightly. I am 6'2" and 195 lbs. and the boat fits me quite well. The seat is more comfortable than any kayak I have ever been in. My longest trip has probably been about 4 hours in the boat and my back never bothered me. The boat has a very pointed bow a fairly wide midsection, and a very narrow and low stern. I am not a naval engineer, so I don't exactly know what that does for the way the boat handles, but it sure makes it look cool. The boats inital stability isn't as good as in other boats I have paddled, but the secondary stability is extremely good. With in 30 minutes, I felt very comfortable in the boat and have never felt like I was going over. Most of my paddling has been on flat water although I have taken it through some light rapids and through some fairly large waves (3 ft.) and it has performed well in all conditions. Like all Daggers, it has great tiedowns on the decks. The hatch covers fit well and are easy to remove. It has tons of storage in both hatches. As far as speed goes, I can comfortably average over 4 miles per hour with a high of about 5 1/2 miles per hour according to my GPS. If feels like a very fast boat and glides well. It also tracks very well and I rarely use the rudder. The only problem I have had with the boat, is that the hull lacks a little support under the cockpit. It developed a dent that wouldn't come out. I made a brace out of a piece of wood that I place in the boat while it is stored and that seems to have fixed the problem. Dagger says this is a common problem with plastic boats and that they can easily be reformed by pouring boiling water over, which i did, or setting in the sun with something pushing the dent out. Anyway, problem solved for me.

Pros: Fast, Stable, Looks very cool, comfortable

Cons: A little bit heavy, hull is thin under the cockpit.