Submitted: 09-05-2006 by Umnak
I've used the Miox for the past three years during long (200 - 400 nautical miles) kayaking trips in Southeast Alaska. It works well, and when it doesn't it is our vault. We (2 adults) treat approximately 8 liters a day if the sun is shining and less if it isn't. It usually isn't, so lets say 6 7 liters.

We've beat the low salt indicator problem through trail and error, but have yet to solve the low battery issue. I'm thinking of using the same approach as my car check engine light; electric tape over the offending led. I use a set of batteries a summer and another during the rest of the year. Practice has taught us it is easier to treat a three-liter container through two 2-liter applications rather than one 4-liter application. The test strips are a deep purple so, while the science on that may be weird, the application is fine.

We haven't used a pump filter for two summers we carry one as back-up and hope never to need to do so again. Wait time issue is, in my opinion, not worth debating since in a kayak we can always carry a liter or two as back-up while we wait for the next batch to "bake". Smell and taste dissipates with time and is generally not noticeable.

Silverfish