Submitted: 09-05-2006 by gutwrencher

I bought this kayak just 4 months ago. It was my first kayak as I was and still consider myself to be...a rookie. I had never even been out on a river, in any boat. 4 months later I have logged nearly 400 miles on rivers. That does not include lakes. However, rivers are my joy, especially my local Raccoon. I think I made the perfect choice in a starter yak. Sure, I could have saved another 8 or 900 bucks and bought the lighter and sexier version, but as a rookie...on rivers with small rapids...getting one I can beat up a little with less stress(on yak and me both) and get used to was a the right choice. I plan on upgrading in a year or two but for now, my 140 rules. I too am a large man, 6'2" and 250, and with very long legs. I tried the 120HV but the 2 hatches and longer boat were essential. I love overnighters on sandbars and my 140 holds my gear just right. That weight combined with my body weight, at first, was a concern. Even with all the weight....it's just now running almost perfect with the boats waterline. Yeah, it's a little on the heavy side, but if I'm this big...then I should have no problem lifting it. Even after a 30 mile river run....I can still lift this badboy with one arm and a shoulder and found 2 or 3 ways of hoisting it onto my pickup wrack with ease. Great boat folks...and even when I upgrade to another and then another kayak...this will always be in my personal fleet.