Submitted: 09-01-2006 by cooldoctor1

Sea Kayaker’s Deep Trouble is a phenomenal swashbuckling read and a stellar learning tool. The book, written and edited by the Sea Kayaker magazine staff, is a collection of short vignettes and maps about various kayak adventures that, well, ended in deep trouble. The writing style is effective and well paced, giving the adventures a very vivid “feel” for the paddling reader. Interestingly, the stories are set throughout the USA, but I notice that the majority of vignettes are set in the Pacific Northwest, especially Seattle. Either this is the location of some very severe kayak weather leading to profound tragedies, or this is home port for the writers of this book. Either way, more stories from various parts of the country—for instance the warm waters of the Keys—would be welcomed.

The absolute value of this book, and the reason I would recommend it so very profoundly, is in the lessons learned from each and every tale. So many times, while reading this book, I’d say to myself, “I have done that…I have been without proper clothes”. Or, “I have been without a spare paddle,” for instance. And then you read about the treacherous outcomes for many of these paddlers. For some, a fatal mistake. This book minces no words, and often the tales are told by those involved, the actual surviving paddlers.

Although I would have liked to see a more diverse geography for the paddling adventures, I highly recommend this book for its educational value.