Submitted: 08-30-2006 by swift_water

I've paddled my Appalachian for two years and it's top notch. Primary stability is average, but the secondary is second to none. I mainly use it as a solo and it handles class III waters with "ease". It's made for moving water and that's where it excels. It ferries with ease and turns quite well for a 16'er. Surf it, heal it over, give it your worst and it's got your back. Though you have to do your part to keep it from going to the point of no return. I've taken it through tight spots that most canoers in the 16' class dare not attempt (tight slots with drops and turns). Places some deem only maneuverable for Kayaks. I grin and peel out. Aside from the rough stuff, it's average on still water as far as hull speed is concerned. Paddling into a head wind or being pushed by cross winds is no fun, but I haven't found a canoe that is. As a tandem I find it to be less forgiving than a 17' Old Town Tripper, 16' Dagger legend, 16' Blue Hole OCA, etc, but this is my opinion. When this one is past it's prime I will purchase another without a second thought. I give it a 10 because it's best in it's class bar none! An absolute BEATER!!

As a multi-day tripper it shines. It'll haul a load of gear for those multi-day excursions and still have good freeboard and maneuverability.

Danuu Fishing Seats: