Submitted: 08-30-2006 by cooldoctor1

My Pacific Designs paddle is of very poor design and I would not recommend a purchase of this paddle. This paddle is not properly set for blade contour, and chugs along annoyingly with each stroke. Inefficient, a real let down. Opened the box and was floored by the cheap workmanship. Had this been in the store, I think it’d be a no brainer—I’d not have bought it. I think the overwhelming reviews I have read on Pnet advice column has suggested that a large minority or purchasers suffered the same eventuality: the blade unglued and fell off the shaft. I have not suffered a similar fate as mine is my back-up to my back-up paddle. Note that it is a three piece paddle (and the center section does not float), and for that I give it one point as it is handy to store. The ferrules are constructed of cheap metal tabs that appear as though they’d break within six months. But—back to how I started all this—the poor blade design is such that it creates noisy and sluggish eddies in the water with each stroke, and relegates, in my opinion, the paddle to the back deck of your boat. This product needs refinement.