Submitted: 08-29-2006 by cooldoctor1

The Werner Shuna in my quiver is a straight shaft fiberglass model, and I find it to be a superb paddle. As the prior reviewer noted, it is a high angle paddle, but has a slightly smaller blade area than, for instance, the Corryvrecken (which I also own). My two Shunas, 215 cm and 210cm, are the workhorses of my quiver of paddles, and tend to be the ones I use most frequently. They are the most forgiving of the high angle Werners on the joints, esp the shoulders, which can really get rocked with a large area paddle and high angle style over a long day of paddling. The Shuna pulls less water per stroke—speed is not quite as high, but you can paddle longer. The fiberglass is transparent, orange, and really does seem to be lightweight (although the carbon fiber is a tad lighter at much greater expense). The need for varying feather angles is especially key for high angle paddling and wind, and the adjustable ferrule is rock solid and very handy. Although I own a several Werners, for an overall great high angle paddle, I give the nod to the Shuna. One point deducted because of the price, which I find high for all Werner products. Keep and eye out for this paddle on eBay or Paddling.net classifieds. Paddle on.