Submitted: 08-29-2006 by LAN1870

I am a novice kayaker and this is the first kayak (besides an inflatable) that I have purchased. I purchased the Sundance 9.5 for two reasons. The first reason was size. I need something small and light because I'm a small woman. I also wanted something that could fit into my Honda CRV without the need to put it on the roof rack. The second reason I purchased this was because it looked to be well made and it was a Perception. The seat felt really comfortable and it was fully adjustable.

Getting into it wasn't really difficult although it was mostly grounded in the shallow water when I stepped in. I just pushed off with my hand to get moving. I was a little nervous about the tippyness being that I have never been in a real hard shell kayak before but after awhile I realized I wasn't going to tip over.

The speed was a little on the slow side but I'm not a fast paddler (not yet anyway). Also I felt that it didn't track perfectly straight unless I put an effort into a good paddling technique. But by no means did I get off course at all, it was more of a slight tracking offset (less than a foot either way) without using a good paddling technique.

This kayak was very easy to handle and turn which I liked. I'm more interested in maneuverability than speed. I would have liked some more convenience features with this kayak though. The water bottle holder is in an ok spot. It's not too difficult to reach. But it would have been nice to have a paddle holder already attached to it.

My first impression of this kayak is a good one. I'm only planning on using it on lakes and it should fit my needs well.