Submitted: 08-24-2006 by shogun555

I have always been a canoeist and built my own stripper canoe, "Sidartha", back in 1989 and loved paddling "indian" style, kneeling with the canoe heeled over. Unfortunately, my knees gave out and back problems from an old injury made it difficult to paddle from a sitting position. I rigged my stripper with an adirondack-style seat amidships a few years back and paddled it kayak-style with a home-made double-paddle. Finally, I "bit the bullet" and did a lot of research on kayaks. I settled on the Old Town Loon 111 because of its large cockpit, it's fully adjustable very confortable seat, its seaworthy design, trackability and manageable weight, and its maintainance-free construction. Honestly, I would have preferred a 17' sea kayak because I paddle mostly on Lake Erie which is 60' from my front door, but my wife wanted something she could carry and handle too so after all my research, this Old Town Loon 111 offered the best compromise. Well, when all is said and done, it really is no compromise because this little kayak tracks exceedingly well, paddles like a dream, is easy to get into and out of because of its large cockpit, will allow me to fish out of it comfortably, is light enough to carry and under most conditions is a "dry boat". It is not a class IV whiteater boat or a serious long-distance sea kayak but is the perfect boat for general all-around light-cruising/fishing/playing/getting-out-on-the-water use. Very easy to move the seat forward/backward within the cockpit to keep proper trim when carrying extra load such as gear/child/pet.

For the purposes this boat was intended for, impossible to imagine a better design of boat. The only regret I have is that I waited this long to buy one. Now that I have, I fully intend to make up for lost time and use this boat at every available opportunity.

At the price these things are going for, if you're looking for a general-purpose light-touring recreational portable virtually indestructible playboat that behaves like a "real" kayak, well, what are you waiting for? Buy one!