Submitted: 08-21-2006 by cooldoctor1

The Talic Kayak Condo I purchased from Pnet ads, and I received a discount with Paddling Perks. I bought the three tiered model to store three kayaks (2 of them=6 yaks). It installs with a drill, a 7/16 wrench and a phillips screwdriver. I installed in my garage through sheetrocked walls (studfinder to locate studs), and the three tiers are currently holding three 60# each Prijon 17 foot sea kayaks. I mounted the first tier 10 inches above the floor, and am able to have a fourth kayak neatly on the floor below the rack for efficient use of the space, and I can still, without a stepstool, place the topmost kayak on the uppermost tier. That's superb. No crashes yet from the entire kit and kaboodle yanking out of the wall; it seems well fixed. The arms hold even these big boats nicely and securely. I would advocate placing the two uprights (each with three "shelves" for the yaks) about 4 feet apart. This holds all of my boats just outside the cockpit and allows me the ability to shift the boats on the rack to prevent oilcanning in any one spot; but the black nylon 2 inch straps that hold the actual yak seem soft enough. I will use the other 3-tier condo, also set at about 3-4 feet apart, for storing gear (like hangers--and as someone wrote, when not in use you can push them up and out of the way), and paddles. I would say this is a very nice item, and when you calculate the cost per yak to mount them, it is roughly what you;d pay for supplies and your time even at Home Depot. I find Talic Kayak Condos to be a good value.

Suspenz: