Submitted: 08-21-2006 by LDoss

Just got back from running the Chestatee River, north Georgia and the Buffalo and the Hiwassee rivers in Tenn. as well as some local waters in my home state of central Alabama. I love the Old Town 16' Appalachian. For me this canoe will do it all. I've paddled solo as well as tandem and have experienced no problems. My wife and I rolled the App over to the gunnel in a ledge drop off on the Hiwassee and a stern draw the App back to center, we had to bale a bit of water, but we never wet over. Very forgiving boat. I read that The did not perform well in high wind on big water, that's not quite true. We took the App out in high wind on the Tims Ford Impoundment above the Elk River and found the App to handle just fine with a few tricks from Bill Mason's style of paddling in wind. I can't say enough good stuff about this boat. It has done everything I wanted in a down river and flat water boat. Very stable when leaned over, forgiving in a broach, and very satisfactory on the flat stretches. I give this boat a 10, when used for what the boat was designed and built for.