Submitted: 08-21-2006 by JAM

I am 5'10" 280lbs, so I am a big guy in a slender boat. The first trip in the poly Cape Horn 17 was on the Chipola river in Florida. I capsized within 20 seconds of leaving the shore. I exited the cockpit without any difficulty(actually, the boat threw my inexperienced butt out): Pumped out the boat and was just fine the rest of the 5 hour trip.

The second trip was in Indian Pass on Appalachicola Bay in Florida. I got out into the middle of the pass and slowly capsized. A jelly fish came along and gave me a painfull hello as I was being towed back by a friend. After pumping out the boat I did fine on the next crossing attempt. I concur with the other reviewers; the Cape Horn 17 is fast, tracks great, and yes, the openings for the deck lines do leak a bit, but not more that a cup of water got in for hours of operation. I hit some rocks on the shoreline going really fast with only a few small dings in the bow to show for it.

The boat is a bit heavy, but with a hull roller on my Aveo, I can easily cartop the boat myself. I am sure once I get the weight off the secondary stability of the Cape Horn will not be a problem for me. I can be dry and slow in a rec boat or fast and wet, I choose fast and wet. Buy the boat; you will be the fastest boat on the water.

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: