Submitted: 08-17-2006 by Umnak
A wonderful double and well suited for medium range (up to 10 days or 200 nm) trips here in Southeast Alaska. We've had our boat for two summers and have used it on a dozen multi-day trips as well as sharing it with friends who have less experience on the water than we. It is confidence inspiring.

It is also fast. We can cut our time to known points by 20% over our singles. We also tend to take the shortest route in crossings rather than hug a coast if there is wind.

Carries a surpsringly large amount of gear. Dry storage is adequate for a five day trip. The hatch covers are great and have proven to be effective even in rough water. You must use the space in front of the pegs for anything longer than five or six days -- tarp bag, bear can, fire pots.

Handles well, even when coasting among the rocks near shore. We use the rudder in following seas or when we are lazy. The rudder is a bit spongy, but it is turning a 22foot long vessel, and I guess that is ok. We can lean and brace easily and I'm sure we could roll it, if we were silly enough to try. Why roll when you can brace has been my mantra for decades.

I've made a sail from a triangular tarp and have deployed it with good results.

The Seaward seats, which double as a paddle float, are comfortable if you fit them to your size. I've added some height and am comfortable for the 4-5 hour marches we tend to do.

At 85 lbs it is easy to walk up and down the beach, and with carry straps four people can move it out of the surf if needed.