Submitted: 08-17-2006 by ivanderberg
Over the last ten years I have owned many Sea Kayaks such as the WS Tempest 170, Nimbus Telkwa Sport, P&H Capella, and tried many more. Each boat has had its strengths and weaknesses. As a SK Guide the CD Gulfstream has been my main boat and the one I will not be separated from. I have paddled it in the Artic, Atlantic and Pacific Oceans without any major issues. I have had faster boats and ones with more space as well. Yet this Sea Kayak has been the best at having a good amount of all these things. When the ocean gets rough the Gulfstream consistently comes through.

Some people seem to take issue with the plastic bulkheads. Two things should be mentioned here. First every boat needs to be outfitted to be perfectly suited to your individual tastes, style and also for safety. As a guide I always change and modify things. Every boat I have had has needed changes. Personally I have liked the plastic bulkheads since it is easy to repair them. This is especially true when out in the wilderness. Second, fiberglass bulkheads can always be added if you really wanted, but one should always inspect your boat before and after each trip. As a guide I have seen a lot of abuse and use of kayaks. I've even had fiberglass bulkheads crack and leak.

Back to the Gulfstream. Yes things can be better. I have had to rig the handles with elastic cord so they don't knock about in the wind and the CD safety line with those plastic clips has to go. What I have not had are seam and gel cracks, broken skeg boxes and faulty hatches.