Submitted: 08-17-2006 by mudhut

I rented this boat from REI, for a four day river trip in MN. I floated the Straight/Cannon River for about 80 miles, which is mostly flat with some very easy rapids and a couple very short class II.

I really liked the boat for that river, as it was mostly flat, with only a few moments of exitement. The skeg thing made a difference for me, I found it helpful for tracking in a straight line, and with it up, it was more squirly, which allowed for faster turning. I found myself pulling up the skeg now and then when I knew I would be manuvering around some strainers/low branches through fast current.

I found it to roll easily. It is a bit of a tank compared to a white water kayak, which is what I am used to, but is pretty fast for a shorter flatwater boat.

The only down side is the backrest, which was killing me the first two days until I figured out how to lock the height adjustment down, and the pain went away. I can see why others didn't like it though, as it was never very comfortable.

The little storage area in the back is nice, but small. Had enough room between three of us for just the necessities and nothing more (except maybe a bottle of jack and a pack of cards). Wish they had designed it better to make full use of the behind the seat area.