Submitted: 08-16-2006 by wildernesswebb
Decided rather than making a solo yoke for my wife's Bell Bucktail, I would purchase a nice, "Ready-made" yoke from the company that built her canoe. Should have sent it back! The ends are rough, don't appear to have been sanded. They slapped a bit of walnut-colored stain on the yoke, but not enough to cover the rough-cut ends. I had to modify (with a saw) the yoke to make allow it to expand large enough to fit Bell's smallest solo canoe, the Bucktail. When I tightened the loose yoke pads tight enough to prevent movement, they imbedded into the yoke. Interestingly enough, the pads still occasionally slip arround despite them being as tight as possible. The cordura covering of the yoke pads are stapled on with what appears to be light, "Office" staples instead of heavy duty fasteners. Everything about the yoke makes me think it was made in China by someone who's never even paddled a canoe! Thank God, Bell's canoes are made much better than this yoke. I give it a "1" because it does work, but only after I modified it. It will require sanding, varnishing, and re-doing the yoke pads to get more than a few months use out of this shoddy peice of equipment. I'm appalled that Bell would allow something like this to leave their factory. I will not buy any more after-market equipment from Bell!