Submitted: 08-14-2006 by MagicPaddler

I purchased a near new Sea Wind earlier this summer. Since I work part-time I didn't think I would have the money necessary to purchase one without selling my two kayaks, a Nigel Dennis Explorer, and a Valley Pintail. So, I sold them and even then, I was a little short. The Kruger Sea Wind is an expensive canoe. But, I made the switch from kayak to canoe so my dog could go with me on great lakes trips. I like to paddle on Superior and Huron especially. I also have a Bell Magic that I use for smaller lakes if I have to portage. Due to some health problems this summer, my dog's health not mine, I only got out on Superior once. We paddled in Lake Suprior Provincial Park, Canada. I paddled through some confused seas that would have kept me off the water in my Bell Magic. I was actually more comfortable in the heavy chop in the Sea Wind than I would have been in the Explorer. I was much dryer too. Waves coming over the deck parted nicely at the raised cockpit coaming and followed the deck and hull down-back to the water and did not splash me or enter the cockpit.

Once it is up on my shoulders, the Sea Wind feels no different from carrying my blackgold Bell Magic which is considerably lighter. The Sea Wind's yoke is outstanding and makes the canoe feel much lighter than it actually is.

Is it worth the money and sacrifice of my two kayaks? Yes. I searched for a different and less expensive solution to paddling on the great lakes with my dog and I couldn't find one. I think my paddling speed is fairly similar with my Sea Wind as it was in the kayak. I use a Zaveral paddle and you can really get a high paddle cadence using a Zav. For most people, a Sea Wind won't replace their kayak on open water trips but for me it is working out well. And, I especially enjoy the luxury items I can now carry-like my comfy camp chair.