Submitted: 08-11-2006 by Jozeph

In the past I owned a Wenonah Solo plus, and also a Blackhawk Starship. I liked both of those canoes, but eventually sold them, partly due to weight concerns (a bad back) and partly because I wanted a more responsive design. This gave me the opportunity to research and test paddle several other canoes. It didn't take long to zero in on the Magic. It combines what I consider to be the best aspects of a modern, high-tech solo canoe. It's quick, tracks well, is easy to manuever, stable enough, lightweight, well-constructed - in short it is a pleasure to paddle. My use has been well inside the design limits, meaning small lakes and big slow rivers, without carrying gear. Sometimes I take my time, other times I get fly up or down the river much faster than I would have thought possible. I use a bent-shaft, and vary from sit and switch to kneeling. Either style has worked well for me with this canoe. The layup I have is the light kevlar with wood trim. It weights about 30 pounds. I would be remiss in not giving it a 10 out of 10.