Submitted: 08-08-2006 by blues49man

The Twist is a pretty nice little beginner boat. It's fairly comfortable. I am 6', 225 lbs, and there's plenty of room for me and my long legs. The Harmony seat isn't a deluxe model, but it's OK. In fact, OK is the way I would describe most everything about this kayak. The boat is lightweight and easy to carry. I got it last fall on sale at Dick's for about $200. So it was a pretty good bargain as well. The boat does nicely on flat water. It's not really fast, but it's not terriby slow, either. It tracks OK, but not as well as my OK Malibu 2. It seems less substantial than the Malibu, or any other OK boat, for that matter. The material seems thinner. It does OK in moderate surf, but only OK. The nose isn't upswept, like say a Frenzy. So when going out, you go through the waves, not over them. And if you try riding a large wave, the nose tends to bury itself in the water as you're going down the wave front, and you get dumped. (But that straight nose makes it track better on flat water.) It's not easy to handle this boat in big surf. In moderate surf, you can lean back enough to keep the nose up, and it's a lot of fun. But you have to be careful not to take on the big ones unless you're really set for them. I have tried fishing from it once, using a better seat. There's plenty of room for my gear, and it's stable enough to do about anything you need to do. Overall rating is a 7, because it's an all-purpose boat, and as such, it really isn't great at anything. But it is a good, inexpensive, all-purpose boat. I bought it to use in the surf, and am mildly disappointed with its performance there. But it does creeks, lakes, rivers, inlets, etc. pretty well. I'm going to keep it, but I'll probably look for another more specialized surf boat for the ocean. This would be a good boat for someone who is just beginning to explore the sport, a veteran will likely find it lacking in too many areas.