Submitted: 08-02-2006 by mscantlebury

This is my favorite whitewater solo canoe--and I've tried many. It's short, nimble, quick, and a great surf boat. I think to truly appreciate the boat, you also need to be relatively modest in size. I wouldn't recommend this boat to someone over 190 pounds. The chine is not as hard as an Ocoee's, so you don't quite have the same precision, but drop the side of the boat to nearly the gunwale and the Phantom turns on a dime. I moved from the Ovation to this boat and instantly bonded with the Phantom. Since then, I've bought both a Bell Ocoee and Evergreen Solito, but still my favorite boat is the Phantom. They're not making them anymore, but I've managed to find and buy several. Good luck finding yours. Mad River, if you're listening, consider getting the Dagger mold for the Phantom and for the Dimension, just like you have for the Caption. The Phantom and Dimension (the best whitewater tripping canoe ever made) are well worth putting back on the market.