Submitted: 08-01-2006 by saigon_kick69

I had been looking around for a roomy/reliable kayak that could support my 6ft 2inch frame. Now I am not petite little guy (230lbs), so investing money within something that could handle my weight and size was essential. After researching on-line and speaking with many different local kayak outfitters I had narrowed it down to the WS "The Ride" and the Ocean Kayak "Prowler 13". Fortunately I was able to find a WS Ride for sale here on the Paddling.net (classifieds) site and went ahead and purchased it. Well this past weekend I tried my new toy out on the Jacks Fork River down around Eminence, MO and it was a blast. The upper portion from Bay Creek to Ally Spring was low but I had limited portage issues. Basically I was the envy of my fellow friends in there heavy aluminum canoes. The overall experience was just downright awesome. Except for when a steady breeze would hit (would blow me off track) the control, tracking, agility and speed were far better than anything I had expected. With this particular kayak coming in at over 13 plus feet long, it handled like it were more like 6ft long. Any sharp bends in the river that looked intimidating just melted away with the way the entire kayak handled. I never tried to stand-up in it (had no reason too and had a few cold drinks in my system) but I would not suggest it unless you are a lot shorter and more stable. For anyone whom is looking for a highly enjoyable SOT kayak that offers room and plenty of storage area, on-top of great handling, this is a great investment to make. Plus this kayak was extremely light for me to load-up and handle all by myself. Chances are is that I will go ahead and purchase a Prowler 13 (Angler Edition) by next summer so that I have a SOT kayak for my fishing or floating trips, but "The Ride" has definitely made a positive impression on me. If you get a chance try out "The Ride" by WS and just have some fun.