Submitted: 07-31-2006 by acadia
The Greenland II is a tough, lightweight folding double that has the capacity for extended tripping. I have owned mine for 2 years and have used it on a number of saltwater trips here in BC, ranging from 3 to 7 days, and I have plans to push it to longer trips as soon as I get the time.

I bought the GII after using a friend's Klepper double and realizing that folding boats had some real advantages: the ability to store them in a closet being a big one. The things that sold me on the GII: it is very light for a double, it assembles easily and in reasonable time (25 mins solo), it is priced lower than the competition, and it comes with a lifetime warrantee. Those things still impress me, especially the customer support offered by Folbot, a company that is truly customer-oriented. No kidding -- these people want you to be happy with their product.

Now that I've paddled the boat for a couple of years, some other things impress me. First, the boat is very easy to load/unload for tripping and it swallows a ton of gear, thanks in large part to its deck zippers. In this respect, it behaves more like a canoe than a kayak. Second, the boat loves the rough water, handling chop, swells, and rebounding waves with aplomb. It's not a boat for major surf, but it will ride out breaking waves in comfort and give you confidence on those exposed crossings. Finally, it's tough. I think this boat will last as long as my friend's 20-year old Klepper.

Downside? It's slower than a skinny composite double. I travel at about 3 knots in good conditions. All in all, the boat is a workhorse, well suited to wilderness travel with lots of gear.