Submitted: 07-31-2006 by Paul Creager

I just returned from a trip to the BWCA with a Bell Rob Roy kayak/canoe and was very impressed. I've been having adventures in the BW for the last 25 years, and I've always wished there was a way to paddle solo, still be able to portage comfortably, and also maximize my paddling efforts. The Rob Roy really fit the bill for me. On a 200 rod portage I was able to adjust the yoke so that I didn't even need to use my hands while walking. That allowed me to pick raspberries while walking. Also, while cross Brule Lake in high winds, the Rob Roy kept tracking and didn't get blown off course by the wind. I was able to dedicate my energy to paddling forward, rather than continually correcting like a canoe. I was concerned that the Rob Roy might be too tippy. Not a chance. Very easy to exit/enter. My suggestion would be to make more comfortable rope handles. Other than that, now I'm planning on buying one.