Submitted: 07-31-2006 by MT

Manitous have made it to Ireland!, Just picked up my Manitou(13) today. Except for a holiday rental of a "sit on top" on a beach two years ago, its been about 20 years since I did any serious Kayaking, Back then I had a glass river/slalom kayak (unknown maker). Well I guess Kayaking is like riding a bicycle, After a wobbly entry, I was straight back into it , and I have to say the Manitou is a brilliant little boat, I think it is going to be just perfect for what I want (short river, estuary and coastal /fishing trips of 2-3 hours). Today for my re-introduction I spent about 1.5 hours on the local river estuary in calm conditions. I did not bother fitting the spraydeck and very little water entered the cockpit from paddle drips (This is why I believe "sit-ins" with not very large cockpits are best)

This boat tracks perfectly, and turns easily when required, I detected little if any difference from my old glass boat (glass boats are over-rated). Comfort is excellent, footpeg adjustment very neat, I have not quite figured out all the seat adjustments yet.

The Manitou feels a bit heavier than I expected solo loading on my car roof bars (maybe its just that I am short and the roof bars are high!), however I can't complain too much on that count as the Manitous weight is very reasonable for a plastic boat. The one complaint I had, and the reason I gave it a 9, is that shouldering the boat on its cockpit, was painful due to the relatively sharp inside edge, something that I imagine could be easily sorted, ok but this is being picky.

Overall top marks for the Necky Manitou, :-)