Submitted: 07-20-2006 by Vince

This is the boat we ended up buying after trying several other doubles. The next closest contender was the Seaward Gemini. First, the Kestrel has good cockpit separation and this makes for much more relaxed paddling. You can pretty much ignore the other paddler.

Next, the final stability is excellent but the bottom is not flat. It's a definite V-bottom which means you can lean it into a wave. It also has almost a bit of a keel which helps the rudder work. Of all the boats we tried this rudder worked the best in every way.

The cockpits are large and easy to get in and out of. You don't feel cramped sitting in it. The seats are among the best with high backs. With over 400# in the boat it still has plenty of freeboard.

The construction and hardware are good quality. Advertised weight is 65# but I have not checked it. Testing with GPS, I think we are cruising at close to 4mph but I need more testing to average this out better.

There are very few things I would change about this boat.