Submitted: 07-12-2006 by rickhaan

The Ultimate 100 is a stripped down version of the Pelican Pursuit 100 DLX. This Kayak is made by Pelican and the warranty registration is done through their site. The kayak is pretty well made. There are no noticable defects. The rear hatch is not water tight but makes a good cooler or can be used with a dry bag.

I say it's stripped down because the Pelican version has adjustable footpegs and a paddle holder. The Coleman version does not. There is an order form that came with the rest of the paperwork to order footpegs from Pelican for $23.95 shipped. I'm ordering them.

This is my first Kayak. I own an aluminum canoe that is used for small lakes and slow rivers. I wanted to get a kayak as my son is getting older and the canoe is just not big enough for my wife, the two kids and me. My 7 year old son has no problems using the kayak on lakes. I've taken it on the rivers with friends. This is not the faster Kayak out there. One person rented an Old Town Otter and we switched off for a while. The performance seemed similar between the two. I did appreciate the foot pegs on the Old Town. Add the foot pegs and I'd rate it an 8.