Submitted: 07-11-2006 by canoedancing
This is a new PFD from Extrasport. I liked the concept many pockets for fishing tackle, camera, binoculars, lunch, and the PFD is obviously well made, typical Extrasport quality and good looks. Unfortunately I think the design and functionality of the Osprey PFD is dangerous. I put the PFD on, fastened the zipper, cinched the two compression straps as snug as I was comfortable with, then stuck my thumbs in the shoulder straps, and lifted the PFD right off over my head in one smooth motion. I thought I must have cinched it on wrong, so I double checked the compression straps and zipper, tightened it as tight as it would go, and pulled it off again with no resistance. I give the Osprey PFD a 10 for quality and concept, but I give it a zero for safety. I've returned the PFD without ever taking it on the water. It's just too likely that in a spill the PFD would ride up over my face, and if I put my arms up for rescue the PFD would slide right off me. My hope is Extrasport will take this PFD off the market and redesign it so it will stay on. I have an Extrasport Pro Expedition swift water rescue vest that is exceptionally well designed and well made, and I've never heard anything bad about any other Extrasport PFD. With the exception of this new Osprey, I recommend Extrasport gear very highly.

Sea Specs: