Submitted: 07-11-2006 by jsmarch
I bought an OI for two reasons: (1) fast long day paddles in conditions and (2) working the GP roll progression. It is a marvelous craft for both purposes, and perhaps the best boat I have paddled in following and rear quartering seas. It wouldn't much fun to camp out of nor is it very good for surfing, poking around in rock gardens or for teaching rescues where you need to maneuver quickly. Though you can get it to turn with a bow rudder edged away from the turn, the OI turns best with a lot of edging and extended paddle sweeps. Impex quality and service are outstanding. I'd change two things. First, I'd get the ocean cockpit--for rolling and edge control, the smaller cockpit has it all over the keyhole. Second, I swaped out the IR backband for a snapdragon: personal preference. Great boat!