Submitted: 07-07-2006 by yooperblock

After learning to paddle in a Necky Zoar Sport, I felt a need to paddle a longer, narrower kayak. I wanted to feel like I was in a true kayak. After much research on the internet, the Sirocco caught my eye. I liked the british look and the lack of a rudder on the stern. I found an orange one in Minnesota for a great price (brand new factory-second)and bought it. I haven't paddled it much yet, but my first couple trips out were definitely more fun than the ones with the shorter, wider Zoar Sport. I quickly got used to the tippy feeling and learned to trust the stability. I tried correcting with edging and it does that very well! I was not impressed with the tracking with the skeg up, but I attribute that to my lack of skills and learning in a barge like the Zoar Sport. I look forward to becoming a better paddler that the Sirocco will force me to become. The skeg, when dropped just half way, really helped me handle the boat. When deployed all the way, the skeg tracked the boat right on. Again, edging with sweep strokes really works well with this kayak. It wasn't particularly fast, but it did paddle smoothly and cruised at a good, consistant speed. It is very responsive to body movements which will be a plus as my skills increase. I love the look of this kayak and it is easier to carry and car-top than my Zoar Sport was. I am 6'3" and 225# and the cockpit fits well for me. I was able to stretch my legs (34" inseam)and hold my feet straight up with room between the footpegs when I needed to. The knee braces work well in conjunction to the pegs for me. I did get a bit stiff in the back as the back band could be a bit higher for me. After 2 hours though, it was very tolerable. I wasn't sore when I got out of the boat though. I haven't paddled in any "big" water yet, or in any wavy conditions, but I look forward to doing so soon! I think I am going to love my Sirocco!