Submitted: 07-07-2006 by JamesCherry

After extensive research into the many rec kayaks out there I ended up buying the Dagger Echo 14.0. It's a bit longer than my target of 11-12' however, I'm glad I went for the additional 2 ft. I had to come to the realization that most of my kayaking will be on flat water or slow moving rivers. This kayak tracks very well with the drop down rudder and is quite faster than I've ever been in a kayak before. It is very stable and the seat has all the adjustments I was looking for on a kayak. My back is the first to go on me and if I can keep my back comfortable, I can easily double my float time. The large cockpit also allows for my ocassional squirming around, seat adjusting, etc. The cockpit is pretty large at about 55" long. This cockpit size allows me to easily insert a couple of fishing poles into the front cavity with very little imact on my imediate working space. Plus, one additional feature of the cockpit is the large accessible space immediately behind the seat. There is no rim to interfere with placing a small cooler, tackle box or dry bag. Of course this is in addition to the huge dry storage cavity in the stern. Overall I think I'm pretty well pleased with this 14.0 Echo. One other thing to note is that it is stated to be 50 lbs. yet, it carries more like 55 or more. So, I bought one of those little wheelie tripods things and it really made the difference.