Submitted: 07-05-2006 by gregoryjacob

I agree with the previous entry. The neoprene sleeves do not even fully cover the bars! However, it does work fine for my particular kayak if used properly, immediately "locking" the kayak in by using the accompanying click straps. Even the rubber tips at the end of the cradles can press in and mark up a kayak unless you be sure and snap at least one of the click straps. The straps serve to "suspend" the boat away from the cradle's upper tips and keep it from resting solely on the cradle. I keep a 28 lb. K-1 style boat on a Martin Creek. Even with such a light boat, I have to be careful about making sure the boat is not in contact with the metal cradle or rubber tips right on its upper pressure points--where the kayak's weight rests against the cradle. I have the cradle screwed into a wooden fence in my back yard. It works, but there are a few design considerations that Martin Creek needs to address. First, the cradle definitely needs more neoprene. But in addition, perhaps more model options depending on kayak type, or some system to adjust the angle or depth of the cradle. Perhaps if the "u" shaped cradle had a gently curved upper part, shaped outward--away from the kayak--for easier kayak entry and less facility to "poke" the boat bottom at its upper pressure points.... Or perhaps just forego the design for a soft sling style. I do end the review saying: it works just fine for my light craft but you might want to try one before committing it to a typically sized and weighted sea kayak.