Submitted: 07-03-2006 by cecil

I tried the Epic Rec GP carbonlite today at the Oakland Estuary, Calif. The wind was moderate as well as the waves. I find it very easy to paddle and it is fast for a relatively short kayak. It is so light I can lift it with one hand. The cockpit size is what I prefered- slightly roomier but not excessively so....I'm 5'8" 155 lbs. Definitely easy to turn specially with some leaning. No problem with tracking either. This kayak fights short waves (1-1/2 ft.) confidently. I was told by a kayak instructor that the bow digs into heavy waves partly due to his 250 lbs weight. I think I don't have the experience to try this small kayak in such waves. But then this is a recreational kayak.

I've been kayaking almost twice a week in the last two months and the Epic Rec GP impressed me as compared to some really good ones out there (about 10 seakayaks total).