Submitted: 06-29-2006 by mechdavi

I recently purchased a Hurricane Santee XL 116 kayak and couldn't be happier. I have been kayaking every weekend for the past several months trying out various kayaks from different manufactures to test out the various features. I tried long and short kayaks, touring and recreational kayaks, sit-on-top and canopy kayaks, narrow and wide kayaks... I tried them all. I live in Florida and primarily paddle in slow moving rivers, large lakes, or along the coast in a bay setting, so my results here are geared toward those who paddle in similar settings. I narrowed down my list of finalists to the Necky Manitou Sport, Old Town Dirigo 120, and Hurricane Santee XL 116. I ruled out the Necky because it dind't have enough leg room (I'm 6'3", 190lbs) and I felt the fiberglass material of the Hurricane was superior to the plastic Necky. I ruled out the Old Town because it was too sluggish and a little on the heavy side, although it was great for storage, stability, and recreational paddling. The Hurricane Santee was by far the best kayak. I knew this the instant I paddled it. It glides through the water with ease and is extremely stable. It tracks like a dream. There is a lot of storage in both the front and rear bulkhead, and plenty of leg room for the tall kayaker. I couldn't be happier with my choice and recommend this kayak to anyone who likes to paddle in slow moving rivers, large lakes, or along the coast in a bay setting. It is truly a pleasure to paddle the Hurrican Santee XL 116.

Ostrom Outdoors: