Submitted: 03-13-2000 by Marc

The Acadia is my first kayak. I'm a heavy guy (>200) so stability was my first concern, though you jokesters out there are probably thinking that buoyancy should have been my first concern. This last Saturday I paddled a round trip course of 20 miles (low and high tide) in about 5 1/2 hours and aside from the rare "windvane" effect, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Being a neophyte at kayaking, I'm still working on my paddling stroke, but I can honestly say that I was able to keep the Acadia pointed at a distant landmark with alternating left-right strokes and very few course double strokes on either side. In other words, I think the tracking is great! I met a motorboat coming through a cut in the slough and it sent 2-3 waves right at me with less than half my boat's length between them. After scaling the first wave, my Acadia buried it's bow in the middle of the second one. Fortunately I had invested in a spray skirt. But the Acadia performed like a trouper during the whole trip. If I ever get another boat it will be because I'd like to make that 20-mile trip in under 5 hours.