Submitted: 06-28-2006 by daniel_sweeney

Ok, I gave this boat a 7 for a couple of reasons. First let me say that this was my first kayak, and I've spent countless hours on the water with it, and enjoyed every minute. The reasons I have for docking points are:

1... the backband was garbage. It's that simple... throw it away, and buy another one (which I did, and this subsequently increased the overall price of the boat).

2... The skeg is pointless... I wish it worked, but it doesn't. Originally, when the wingnut that holds it in place was tightened down, the skeg sat at an angle because it was too wide for the groove that it is supposed to sit in. The bolt was too long as well (not to mention that the hole that the bolt runs through was off center). After shortening the bolt, and some filing on the skeg it got better, but still sits at an angle, rendering it not only useless, but hindering to your tracking ability. (I have since fabricated a new one from aluminum).

3... The boat did not come with adjustable thigh braces as advertised. which leads me to number

4... perception has weak customer service. There were no adjustable thigh braces, and the skeg was (I felt) defective, and I have tried countless times to contact perception, which has ALWAYS led to me getting frustrated talking to machines on the phone.

All that said, this is a good boat, and I'd recommend it for rivers especially. For lakes, open water, and ocean, I'd recommend something longer... but due to perceptions lack of customer service, I will not buy another one of their boats.