Submitted: 06-21-2006 by fishwinican

A great kayak for fishing when traveling. I recently enjoyed a vacation in the Gulf Shores, AL area and took along my Innova/Gumotex Sunny. I used the boat for a little solo kayak fishing in the Gulf (when it was calm) and in inshore waters. The boat was easy to set up and took only about 10 minutes to inflate with the Innova foot pump I purchased separately from Innova.. Installing the seat was aided by longer tie-in cords that I had made from some 1 foot long pieces of rope. The original cords are too short. The boat tracked much better when inflated very firmly. Still, without the skeg attached, tracking straight was sometimes a challenge, especially with wind to the back. But, the boat paddled easily and rode over 1-2 foot waves, boat wakes and swells very nicely so long as the bow was pointed into the waves. Paddling against the wind, control was much better, but an inexperienced paddler might go in circles, especially if the boat is under inflated. The material is very heavy duty and the boat feels strong and sturdy. With the open design, there is plenty of room for a small anchor, a small cooler, a little fishing gear, landing net and fishing rod. But be sure to put plenty of sunscreen on your legs and feet as they are completely exposed to the sun. I am 6'2" and 225 lbs, and I found that in this boat, paddling with my legs crossed was easier than with legs straight out. But there was plenty of room even for a big guy like me. Fish were easy to land from the boat and the kayak never felt tippy. Keeping sand off of the boat when landing and deflating was a challenge, so next time I will keep a plastic tarp in the back of the car. Then I will toss the boat in and clean it back at the condo with a hose. Next time I use it I will definitely try out the skeg to see if it helps the tracking in open water. This is a great boat, very portable, easy to set up and well made. A great kayak if you are traveling and want to do a little paddling or fishing without needing a cartop carrier, trailer or truck. I was able to get the boat, four-piece paddle, anchor and foot pump all in a large wheeled duffle bag, so I guess you could even fly with it if you didn't mind one big heavy piece of luggage to add to the rest.

OS Systems: