Submitted: 06-21-2006 by jls1228

I paddled four other rec boats in this class, and I love my Manitou Sport. I've used it plenty on the Sandusky river in NW Ohio, and taken it to some small lakes and reservoirs. I even had some fun in some rougher waters. I've used it when the river was high and moving swiftly with some class 1 or 2 rapids, and it did just fine. The hatch seals tightly and hasn't leaked yet. The seat is about as comfortable as you can get in a kayak, and the adjustable footpegs work great. I use them a lot, adjusting them during long outings. I also feel I've abused this boat a lot, getting stuck on rocks in some rapids, and expected to find deep gouges in the bottom of the boat. Just a few scratches is all I've found. It's very well constructed. For a rudderless kayak it tracks very straight, and it's easy to turn. Also, the weight makes it easy to top onto my Jeep Liberty. If I had a smaller vehicle, I'm sure I could top it alone. The price was great too, found a special and got two for under 600 apiece. I'm 5'6" and I think this boat fits me needs perfectly. This is a great beginners kayak, but I plan to use it for years.