Submitted: 06-16-2006 by DKovac

I have had the Sevylor Tahiti Pro for about 4 years now. I purchased it used from Orange Torpedo Tours in Oregon, who uses this boat on their guided tours of the Rogue and Klamath rivers. It is an excellent boat for the money. As mentioned in other reviews, it does not track all that great, but I have not used the skeg that Sevylor offers, and perhaps it will improve that. Also, it's a bit thin skinned. I have managed to put a couple of holes in it over the years.

That said, I have taken my little Tahiti Pro through some fairy hairy Class III whitewater and it is very stable, and rides the waves confidently. I have found it to be an excellent introduction to paddling. I particularly like the ability to roll it up, put it on a frame pack, and hike to wherever I want to paddle. Or I'll take it camping, or boat camping, and it takes up very little room. Of course, that is the beauty of inflatables in general. In response to a previous post about it being tippy, I found that to be the case as well, when I first got it, but after I started not filling the floor up as much, it became much more stable. I leave the floor just a bit soft too the touch, and pump the sides up until they are about as rigid as they'll get, and it works pretty good. I have no problem taking this boat through big water, but not through rock gardens or anywhere super shallow, because of the material thickness. I think it'd be fine on flat water as well if I use the skeg. The self-bailing feature works, but is a little bit on the slow side, and if you are flat water paddling with it, you will be sitting in a permanent puddle. But hey, for $150, you really can't go wrong with this boat. I love it. I'm looking to upgrade a bit right now for something a little more whitewater specific, but plan on hanging on to the old "Orange Torpedo" for many more years to come.