Submitted: 06-16-2006 by sparx

I'm not sure if my model is a blazer but I just got a used 1975 16' Mad River boat for 100 bucks. The alluminum gunwales were in disrepair for what looks like years of being leaned on one side against a tree or shed or something. Gell coat was gouged in many locations and the fiberglass was showing in the obvious places from years of being dragged accross rocks.

Mine has alluminum tubular thwarts, and seat bars. The seat surface is fiberglass.

Well I spent a few hours beating the Gunwales back into shape and it pulled the hull back into true.

I took it out a couple times and was surprised how stable it is as mine is supposed to be a whitewater boat (has a little rocker to it) I am just a beginner but I took it out for a local river clean up expecting just to use it on flat water but had a friend of a friend lead me down the class l and ll rapids. The boat did alot better than I did as I kept finding every rock I could.

I can't say I recomend it for single paddler use on white water. But after putting in some fix up hours I have a pretty good looking boat that I think will last forever. And would feel good about taking on some whitewater with. (with a little more experience, or a bow paddler) The stiffness and internal Keelson makes me think this thing would never tomato can on a rock. I am really glad I got this fix-er-upper rather than a dangerous $300 plastic Tub.

I am giving it a 9 due to the fact that it is 30 years old, easy to repair, and a tank. One off due to weight, and the unfinished alluminum gets hot in the sun.