Submitted: 06-16-2006 by sonic
I have had my Approach Kayak for 3 months and it has mostly preformed as advertised. It is a good kayak for mild WW and flat sections of rivers. Itís a bit of a tank, but that is to be expected. Like any crossover type boat it doesnít perform best in either world. My Blackwater 11.5 tracks better and is more stable for new kayakers and my Pyranha H3 is much better at class III+ WW. For what I do most of the time, creeks with Class II and below rapids with considerable flats between them this boat is excellent. Like my Kids Pyranha Master TG the new type of flexible skeg is wonderful when working. I have had some problems with the skeg, but the boat I bought is a pre-production prototype that I got at a good discount, so assuming Dagger has fixed the problem with the skeg popping out of the slot, this is a nice boat. My only issue, besides the skeg, is that itís a displacement hull. If Pyranha made a larger Master TG that I could fit into I would prefer itís type of planning hull (both the Approach and the Master TG have the same type of skeg). The Approach has a nice little rear hatch that will store a small dry bag, or cooler and it doesnít seem to throw it out of trim. It surfs OK, but donít expect to do any tricks with it. If it were available 4 years ago I probably would have bought this over the Blackwater. This kayak is perfect for the easy Midwestern WW stream that I have near my home. Now that I have retro-fixed the skeg this is my favorite everyday kayak.