Submitted: 06-13-2006 by jamesbkeyes

I have recently traded in my Pachena DX for a Gulfstream. Not because I was dissatisfied with the boat...I just outgrew it.

Pachena's pluses: Great initial stability. You have to really try to turn it over. Great for playing in moderately big waves on a windy day at the lake. Great for photography. Carries a lot of gear for a 14 foot boat.

Negatives: Seat is a little uncomfortable on long paddles. Tends to weather-cock. Rudder is mandatory on windy days, and boat doesn't track well in windy conditions with lots of waves unless you engage the rudder.

A great boat for what it's designed to do. I've had it out on some big inland lakes and had no problem, but this boat is not for those who wish to paddle with other 16/17 foot sea kayaks. You won't be able to keep up unless you are in great shape and your companions are not.

Thunder Bay Tourism: