Submitted: 06-13-2006 by AY

I don't like the Yakima saddles for 2 reasons: they allow the boat to bounce despite proper installation and tie down. On a very rough surface, my glass kayak will bounce excessively - this contributes to problem 2 - rough surface that contributes to scratches of the gel coat. I know that you can buy felt covers but - come on - what sense does it make to sell a product for a specific purpose (hold kayaks) knowing that the product is actually harmful if used as directed. The felt pads should be included with the saddles, part of the the actual design or at the very least, recommended in the instruction manual with the boat. Also, Yakima says that the saddles work by having the central strip rising to grip the boat when the straps are tightened. Seems to me that covering with felt will limit this feature. All in all - avoid these saddles.