Submitted: 06-13-2006 by firdr

Got my Charger today, and for a fun boat this one is hard to beat. I am new to the sport, but I have always wanted to get into kayaking because of the exercise benefits. So my primary criterion was a kayak that can keep me going for at least a couple of hours after work. Over the past couple of weeks I have been through one Perception Sundance - which I traded in because I wanted something that tracked better - one Perception Carolina 14.5 - a great boat, but a little too much hassle if you just want to get out for a quick workout in the evening - and now the Charger.

I do most of my paddling near a major sea lane, and there is also a lot of smaller craft carving up the sea around me. In the Sundance and the Carolina, this got to be slightly unnerving once the primary stability was used up and I had to struggle to stay on an even keel. Not so the Charger, with a lot more secondary stability to its hull shape, it handles the surf and the waves with perfect agility. In fact, you only want more of it.

For a boat this size, tracking is great, and despite some sideways motion, you can put as much power into your strokes as you wish.

I have also tried the Emotion Edge, and while I liked it, there was no doubt that for me the Charger was the better choice. Although the Charger is wider, because you sit higher, your paddling position is better - a wide sit-inside kayak requires you to keep your arms and shoulders higher, which is tiring, the Chargers affords a very efficient paddling technique.

Finally, being only 282 cm long, the Charger fits inside my station wagon, an added boon when you want to shed your office rags for tank top and shorts and get on the water as quickly as possible.