Submitted: 06-07-2006 by Rick W

I have owned a Old Town otter for years and have a lot of hours in it fishing and exploring small bodies of water. It was great. That was untill I tried the longer boats. I weigh 220, that is near the max of the otter. I didn't realize how great it would be to step up to the XL. I did a lot of reading and took some test paddles. I picked the XL because of the larger cockpit. I fish from my boat, and do wildlife photography so I wanted a boat that had larger access for gear and was stable. I have taken two paddles in the new craft covering about 9 miles. It rides like a dream. I am large but I was able to paddle 4 mph for an hour, much faster than my otter. I love the seat and the dual bulkheads. I wish it was a 40 lb boat but it isn't, but for the money I truly like my new ride. I know it won't be as fast as the slim touring boats, an not as light as an expensive Carbon composite boat. It is stable, comfortable, and rides like a dream, for my needs its a ten.

Suspenz: