Submitted: 05-31-2006 by matthewtien

I ordered a used Royalex Vagabond from a dealer over the web in April and finally got a chance to take it out on a small local lake this weekend for some paddling and fly fishing.This was my first ever outing on a solo canoe. I really enjoyed being able to get it on and off the car myself. I'm short, 5'7", and can comfortably sit (like having the footbrace!) or kneel. I have limited experience with other canoes as the only other boat I've paddled is my old 15' Coleman. Compared to that, the Vagabond is light as a feather, with great glide. My impression after this flatwater outing was that the boat has very good initial stability, it never felt tippy at all. Standing up to cast will have to wait for another day when I'm feeling more eager for a possible dip in the water, but I had a wonderful time casting for bass and sunnies along the shoreline. Looking forward to many more days on the lakes, ponds, and lazy rivers around here in Ohio.

P.S. Mine came with Kevlar skidplates. Nice for someone like me who tends to be a little rough on my paddling and fishing equipment.