Submitted: 05-30-2006 by canoes313

I've owned my XL13 for about 10 years. I've put it to the test over the years, mostly running class II/III but some class IV. My reason for the high rating begins with it's durability. The original saddle system is still in good shape. I've replaced one air bag, only because I left it fully inflated in the heat.

I learned how to paddle whitewater with this boat, so it has seen it's share of rocks and abuse, but the hull is still solid and the canoe performs reliably. It's a solid river runner, and it will side and front surf on "Jaws" (Nolichucky) quite easily... it was never designed to be a rodeo playboat, so I don't deduct points here.

I've had my share of fun with it, and the factory direct price I paid plus shipping made it the best value (I shopped and compared EVERYWHERE!) and a great choice for any beginning to intermediate paddler.

The advantage of it's 13'3" length is that if you want to do some overnight tripping, you've still got space for your gear under the air bags (when you let some air out.)

I own several boats, but would be hard pressed to let this old faithful go.